Position Title Counselor
College/Unit Student Affairs / Residence Life
Home Department Counseling Center
Employee Group Fixed-Term Faculty - 12 month
Employment Status Full-Time
Position Type 12 month
Position Classification Fixed-Term Faculty
Position Begin Date 08/23/2021
Position End Date
Central Michigan University Counseling Center is seeking a generalist
counselor for a non-teaching, full time, 12-month fixed term faculty position
beginning August 2021.
The Counseling Center provides counseling services to currently enrolled
students on CMU's main campus and via telemental health services. Counselors
assist students with a wide range of behavioral, developmental and mental
health concerns in support of personal growth and academic success.
• Provide individual, couples, and group counseling services
• Provide campus outreach and prevention services
• Provide consultation to colleagues, faculty, staff, and parents
• Provide crisis intervention services during office hours
• Provide after hours on call services as part of a rotating schedule during
the academic year
• Participate in professional development within and outside of the center
• Maintain compliance with Counseling Center procedures
• Maintain all professional, ethical, and legal standards in the State of
• Maintain licensure in Michigan
• Masters or doctoral degree in counseling, clinical psychology, social work
or related field
• Eligibility for licensure in Michigan within one month of start date
• Rich understanding of developmental, social, and psychological issues and
challenges faced by a diverse population of students at the university level
• Demonstrated competence in working with multicultural or other diverse
• Demonstrated clinical skills related to short term counseling, crisis
• Demonstrated ability to effectively present outreach programming on mental
• Experience working as part of a collaborative and team-based approach to
clinical services in a fast-paced work setting
• Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and collaboratively, strong
communication skills, as well as commitment to workplace integrity and
• Ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without
• Full Michigan licensure
• Experience working in a university or college counseling center
• Experience and commitment to providing group counseling services and
Message to Applicants
You must submit an on-line application in order to be considered an applicant
for this position.
Position open until filled. Interviews will begin mid July.
About the Department
To learn more about the department, visit the department website.
Posting Begins 06/01/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Recruitment External
Central Michigan University has a more than 125-year legacy of preparing
students to become leaders and changemakers in their communities and in their
personal and professional lives.
We serve nearly 19,500 students on our Mount Pleasant campus, in satellite
locations around the state and throughout the country, and through flexible
online programs. Many of our approximately 300 undergraduate, master's,
specialist and doctoral programs in the arts, media, business, education,
human services, health professions, liberal arts, social sciences, medicine,
science and engineering are nationally ranked for excellence.
CMU leads the nation in leadership development programming through our Sarah
R. Opperman Leadership Institute, and we are proud to be among only 5% of U.S.
universities in the top two Carnegie research classifications. Our faculty
work with graduate and undergraduate students in areas such as Great Lakes
research, medical innovation, engineering technology and more.
Central is home to 17 men's and women's Division 1 sports including football,
basketball, gymnastics, baseball, wrestling and more. Our student-athletes
achieve great success in competition and in the classroom, capturing Mid-
American Conference championships and maintaining an average cumulative GPA of
CMU is located in Mount Pleasant, a community that blends the best of small-
town living with big-city amenities. It's part of the culturally varied and
vibrant Great Lakes Bay Region that also includes Saginaw, Bay City, Midland
and the state's largest Native American community, centered on the Saginaw
Chippewa Isabella Reservation in Mount Pleasant.
Area residents enjoy the mix of outdoor activities, cultural events, shopping
and dining options, and family attractions. Other major Michigan destinations
and attractions — Lansing, Grand Rapids, Detroit, Traverse City, wineries,
beaches, golf and ski resorts, and many more — are within easy reach of the
city's central location in Michigan's Lower Peninsula.
CMU employees enjoy access to a nationally recognized wellness program along
with health care and benefits that exceed regional, state and national norms.
CMU, an AA/EO institution, strongly and actively strives to increase diversity
and provide equal opportunity within its community. CMU does not discriminate
against persons based on age, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status,
gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, height,
marital status, national origin, political persuasion, pregnancy, childbirth
or related medical conditions, race, religion, sex, sex‐based stereotypes,
sexual orientation, transgender status, veteran status, or weight (see
https:// www. cmich.edu/ocrie).
If you wish to see “EEO is the Law” posters, please click here.
CMU does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education program or
activity that it operates, including admission and employment, and is required
by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 not to discriminate in such a
Inquiries about the application of Title IX can be made to CMU's Title IX
Coordinator, the US Department of Education's Assistant Secretary, or both.
CMU's Title IX Coordinator can be reached at:
Office: 103 E. Preston St.
Bovee University Center, suite 306
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
How did you learn of this vacancy? Please indicate the specific source by title (i.e., CMU website, HigherEdJobs.com, Higher Education Recruitment Consortium, The Chronicle, specific professional association, specific list serv, etc.):
(Open Ended Question)
Are you currently licensed in Michigan as a counselor, psychologist, or social worker or will you be eligible at the time of hire?
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
List of References
Other Document (1)