Core Faculty for Psychiatry (Part-Time)
Bookmark this Posting Print Preview Apply for this Job
Position Title Core Faculty for Psychiatry (Part-Time)
University of the Incarnate Word is a Catholic institution that welcomes to
its community persons of diverse backgrounds, in the belief that their
respectful interaction advances the discovery of truth, mutual understanding,
self-realization, and the common good.
The University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)
educates aspiring physicians to be justice-minded, global citizens using a
community-based, distributed model of education, which fosters inclusion,
discovery and innovation.
The UIWSOM invites applications for part-time psychiatric physicians to become
core faculty members of this new program.
UIWSOM is seeking a part-time psychiatrist to work closely with the residency
program director and the UIWSOM Office of Graduate Medical Education to
provide clinical supervision, didactic education, program development, and
evaluation support for the program. The core faculty provide support for the
program director to ensure the quality of the educational experience for the
residents. The core faculty are the expert competency evaluators who work
closely with the program director and associate program directors, who assist
in developing and implementing the evaluation system, and who teach and advise
The core faculty report to the program director and the UIWSOM Assistant Dean
for Graduate Medical Education.
The core faculty will operate within the UIWSOM framework of lifelong learning
through collaborative scholarship, innovative educational excellence and
This position is considered a “Responsible Employee” under Title IX federal
regulations and “Mandatory Reporter” under Texas state law and The UIW Sexual
Misconduct Policy. As a Mandatory Reporter this position requires you as the
employee to promptly report any incident that you witness or receive
information about violating Title IX. These reporting responsibilities are set
out in the UIW Sexual Misconduct Policy.
• Assist with the recruitment, interviewing, selection, matching, and on-
boarding of residents for the residency program.
• Assist the program director with compliance with the requirements for
accreditation by the relevant accrediting agencies, including site visits,
preparation of PIF's, etc.
• Provide didactic sessions for residents each month as assigned by program
• Directly supervise residents on a teaching service.
• Ensure the quality of care provided by residents in the program is of the
highest caliber, and that lapses in quality are appropriately investigated,
resolved, and used to improve processes and education.
• Work with the program directors to ensure efficient and effective use of
resources including conference space, call space, administrative help, etc.
• Participate in the Residency Advisory Committee, the Clinical Competency
Committee, and the Program Evaluation Committee.
• Advise residents with respect to their career and educational goals.
• Spend significant time in the evaluation of residents including direct
observation of residents with patients.
• Undergo training in the evaluation and assessment of the ACGME competencies.
• Assist with the supervision of UIWSOM medical students assigned to SWG when
on the teaching service.
• Participate in academic societies and in educational programs designed to
enhance educational and administrative skills.
• Official duties and responsibilities of faculty members at the University
include teaching, scholarship, service and professional activities. In all
matters, faculty are expected to maintain the highest standards of
professional ethics consistent with the UIW Mission.
• Other duties as assigned by the Program Director or Assistant Dean for GME.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Enthusiasm and Optimism.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Commitment to social justice and values-driven curricula.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with administration, staff, peers and
full-time and community-based faculty.
• Strong verbal/written communication skills.
• Ability to collect and manage data to track performance outcomes to ensure
comparable educational experiences.
• Strong collaboration, team building, and conflict resolution skills.
• Strong general computer and organizational skills.
• Ability to work with Assistant Dean and staff to prioritize resources
necessary for program support.
• Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and
• Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the
University, the Conference, and the NCAA.
DO or MD degree from an accredited medical school.
Required Work Experience
• Passion for and commitment to graduate medical education for purposes of
optimizing patient outcomes, particularly vulnerable and marginalized patient
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively in
complex interdisciplinary and interprofessional settings.
• Experience as a faculty member of a residency program
• Ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish
Required Certifications, Licenses or Registrations
• Unrestricted license to practice medicine in the state of Texas
• Board certification in Psychiatry
Posting Number UN514PO
Number of Vacancies 1
Job Type Part Time
Job Category Faculty
Desired Start Date 08/16/2021
Position End Date (if temporary)
Reports to Assistant Dean of Graduate Medical Education
Open Date 07/22/2021
Close Date 07/27/2021
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicant
UIW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment, without
regard to race, color, national origin, disability, genetic information,
veteran status, sex, gender, age, or religion (except in limited
circumstances when religious preference is both permitted by law and deemed
appropriate as a matter of University policy).
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Unofficial Transcripts 1
Unofficial Transcripts 2
Unofficial Transcripts 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
What is the highest level of education attained?
High School Diploma
ABD/ PhD Candidate
How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
If you selected other, please tell us where?
(Open Ended Question)