Position InformationJob Title Clinical Counselor
The Clinical Counselor provides multi-culturally attuned clinical counseling services, (i.e., therapy, individual, couples, and group, crisis intervention, outreach, consultation, and prevention education) to undergraduate and graduate students at Otis College. The Clinical Counselor works collaboratively with the Counseling Director and Student Health & Wellness Center staff to facilitate and support overall student wellness and success. The ideal candidate is passionate about working with a diverse creative student population and takes a collaborative approach to working with students and colleagues. Expertise in working with international students is a strong plus. This position reports directly to the Director of Student Counseling Services.
Location Los Angeles, CA (Westchester) Essential Duties Summary
Clinical or Direct Service Daily 80-85%
Individual, Couples, and Group Counseling: • Provide brief individual, couples, and group psychotherapy to students on personal, psychological, educational, and/or developmental issues in accordance with SCS Scope of practice. • Assist the client in identifying presenting problem(s), establishing treatment goals, and working toward emotional health and wellbeing; • Maintains confidentiality as required by CA State law and licensing boards. • Provide crisis screening and intervention; • Determine if referrals are needed and assist client in referral process; • Consult with appropriate personnel as needed; • Develop and lead psychotherapy group(s) and workshop(s); • Responsible for case management to include an analysis and synthesis of psychological data concerning clients; • Maintain ethical and timely documentation of all clinical work in electronic record keeping system. • The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements of CA state law.
Campus Outreach and Consultation: • Prepare and present mental health outreach and/or trainings to campus departments and offices; • Contribute to Counseling Services departmental program planning; • Respond to campus crises • Serve as liaison as assigned.
Other Functions: Weekly 15-20%
• Actively participate in Counseling Services case conferences, trainings, and staff meetings; • Attend other Campus Health & Wellness or campus meetings as assigned; • Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned; and • As assigned and if licensed, supervise and assist in training of unlicensed clinicians.
● Performs other related duties as assigned. Must be responsive to work- related phone calls and emails during non-business hours on occasion.
• Possession of a Master's degree in appropriate field and current licensure or eligible for licensure to practice in the State of California as an LPCC, LCSW or LMFT with a minimum of 2 years of clinical experience post-degree (in any state or province).
• Note: All counselors must be licensed in California within 1 year of hire.
• Possession of doctoral degree in Clinical or Counseling Psychology and current licensure or eligible for licensure (i.e., successfully completed all supervised professional experience) as a psychologist in the State of California
• Demonstrated multicultural competence and ability to address the mental health needs of historically marginalized populations. • Demonstrated ability to speak publicly, provide training to, and consult with the campus community regarding mental health topics. • Demonstrated experience providing brief individual and group psychotherapy to late adolescent and young adult populations including DSM diagnosis. • Demonstrated ability to effectively manage clinical crisis situations, including hospitalizations. • Ability to provide consultation regarding mental health to faculty, staff, parents, partners and friends of students. • Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the college with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds. • Excellent communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing. • Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time- sensitive deadlines. • Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, electronic health record systems, as well as online calendaring and email. • Ability to provide clinical services in a language other than English. • Experience in integrated health and counseling settings, including experience in integrated primary care behavioral health. • Training and experience in college counseling center. • Previous experience with providing clinical supervision to mental health trainees. • Professional experience working with substance abuse prevention and intervention. • Professional experience in working with eating disorders and sexual assault.
Physical Demands Special Conditions for Eligibility EEO Statement
Otis College of Art and Design is an Equal Opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic which may be specified by law or college policy.
Applicants Have Rights Under Federal, State, and Local Employment Laws:
DFEH Workplace Discrimination (English) DFEH Workplace Discrimination (Espanol)
EEO is the Law (English) EEO is the Law (Espanol)
Family Medical Leave Act (English) Family Medical Leave Act (Espanol)
Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative
Polygraph Protection Act (English) Polygraph Protection Act (Espanol)
Salary 66,607 to 80,809
Posting Detail InformationPosting Number AS556P
Open Date Posting Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to ApplicantsSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().Document(s) Needed To Apply