Category: Staff Full Time Subscribe: Department: Campus Police Locations: SAN ANTONIO, TX Posted: Jan 3, 2023 Closes: Feb 28, 2023 - 11:59 PM EST Type: Full-time Non-Exempt Position ID: 157442
About Our Lady of the Lake University:
On the foundation of faith, wisdom and trust in Providence, Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) prepares graduates to transform their communities, families and professions.
OLLU, founded in 1895 by the Congregation of Divine Providence, is a coeducational comprehensive institution with an enrollment of more than 3,100 students. With its main residential campus in San Antonio and non-traditional programs in San Antonio, Houston, the Rio Grande Valley (La Feria), and online, OLLU has a presence in two of the largest cities in Texas, the border region, and literally around the world.
The University offers more than 30 undergraduate majors and minors, 14 master's programs and three doctoral programs through its College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business and Leadership, and the College of Professional Studies. OLLU offers classes in daytime, evening, weekend and online formats.
Under the supervision of the police sergeant, the police officer's main function is to prevent and suppresses criminal activity and to ensure a safe and secure learning environment on campus. In addition, the police officer enforces governmental laws and regulations as well as university policies and procedures; perform police, traffic, crime prevention, and other duties. The police officer is responsible to safe guard all university assets, enforce traffic and parking regulations, investigates vehicle accidents and enforces Federal, state, and local laws as well as university regulations and policies.
1. Assist as panel a member during interview boards.
2. Assists the university community and visitors by providing general information.
3. Conduct courtery services such but not limited to battery jump-starts, opening locked vehicles, and airing tires.
4. Conduct parimeter patrol on Our Lady of the Lake Convent, McCollugh and Regen Hall.
5. Enforces federal, state, and local laws and ordinances and University regulations and policies.
6. Investigates traffic accidents and criminal offenses and prepares investigation and special reports.
7. Makes arrestsand appear in court as direct
8. Monitors and provides traffic and parking enforcement
9. Monitors external grounds lighting and generates work orders for light replacement when needed.
10. Opens and closes buildings, turns light on and off as needed.
11. Prevents and suppresses crime by being highly visible and by performing aggressive and continuous foot, bike and vehicular patrol.
12. Provide escorts on campus when directed to
13. Provides security surveillance of university facilities.
14. Responds and assist with all emergency detentions
15. Responds to all medical emergencies and is First Aid/CPR and AED certified
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to be on call 24 hrs. / 7 days a week and be able to respond to all campus emergencies as directed by the Chief of Police through the Lieutenant and Police Sergeant.
2. Ability to be on call 24 hrs. / 7 days a week and can respond to all campus emergencies as directed by the Chief of Police through the Lieutenant and Police Sergeant.
3. Ability to accomplish tasks in a professional and expeditious manner.
4. Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and possess good communication skills.
5. Ability to successfully complete the handgun, shotgun and patrol rifle qualifications.
6. Ability to successfully complete the TCOLE required physical exam, psychological exam, and drug screen.
7. Ability to work and cover half or full shift in the event of manpower shortage with limited notification and subject to shift rotations.
8. Ability to work holidays and required shift work to include days, evenings, nights and weekends.
9. Able to work under stressful situations Possess strong interpersonal skills (verbal and writing).
10. Dependability regarding handling work assignments and critical incidents.
11. Knowledge of Texas driving rules and regulations as evidenced by possession of current Texas driver's license.
12. Must be able to travel to the offsite campuses (San Antonio, Houston & La Feria) and be able to stay for an extended period.
13. Possess a basic knowledge of data entry and criminal report assessment.Responds to all medical emergencies and is First Aid/CPR and AED certified
Emergency Essential Personnel / Positions (EEPP):
The position of Police Officer is listed as a first responder and an emergency essential personal / position for Our Lady of the Lake University. EEPP positions shall be required to perform key duties and requirements during a crisis and emergencies on OLLU campuses. This entails a temporary or permanent relocation or redeployment between campuses as well as the possibility of remaining in an area when extreme hazardous conditions have occurred, could occurred or may occurred. Upon accepting a position as an EEPP with Our Lady of the Lake Police Department, you agree and accept to be recalled by the Chief of Police during all campus emergencies and will fulfill these duties and responsibilities due to the mission essential nature of EEPP positions.
Work is performed in both office and field settings on a rotating shift schedule in all weather conditions.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Patrol vehicle, police radio, handgun, less than non-lethal weapons as required, handcuffs, first aid equipment, and personal computer including word processing software.
Education and Experience:
1. High School graduate or GED required.
2. Honorable discharge from military service (DD-2140) if applicable.
3. Must have a Basic TCOLE peace officer's license.
4. One year of experience required as a certified peace officer, preferably in a college/university environment.
5. Valid Texas driver's license with good driving record required.
Conditions present high stress and threat to personal safety during periods of search, seizure and arrest; may be exposed to toxic materials, blood-borne pathogens and other infectious environments; have to deal with unruly or dangerous individuals, unsafe building sites and the use deadly force; may be required to extend work schedule during university emergency situations as deemed necessary to ensure public safety by the Chief of Police.
Apply online through the Human Resources page of the OLLU website: https: // www. ollusa.edu/human-resources/index.html
Please upload/attach an updated resume, letter of interest, and references, with at least 2 being from your current or last employer.
The University is committed to diversity and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. EOE