Vacancy Type/Job category
Management & Professional
£32,348 - £42,155 per annum
University of Warwick, Coventry
Permanent position, 36.5 hours per week.
A unique opportunity has arisen for an experienced Business Development Manager to join the Warwick Conference Business Development Team, applicants should have prior experience of the Association market.
Warwick Conferences based at the world leading University of Warwick, offer a competitive salary, flexible-Hybrid working, generous holiday entitlement, and an attractive pension scheme.
As Business Development Manager, you will be part of a creative & dynamic team responsible for pro-actively promoting venues within Warwick Conferences portfolio, focussing on winning new business from key specified target markets. You will generate leads and establish strong relationships with potential new and existing clients, and represent Warwick Conferences at industry events.
Skills & Experience
You will have proven experience of winning business through a consultative sales approach from both the association & corporate markets for the hospitality industry, ideally for a venue with a wide portfolio of event spaces.
Warwick Conferences offers a range of world-class meeting and conferences facilities in a lively and attractive destination. We're proud to be part of the University of Warwick and located on its leafy green campus. An organisation that invests all its profits into social benefit – education for students, or world-leading research to improve lives globally.
Our mission is to ensure that every Warwick Conferences customer is entirely delighted by their experience with us. The role of our dedicated team is to create lasting, memorable events that achieve everything our customers hope for and more. We have endless stories of how our people go the extra mile every day for our customers. Constantly on the look-out for any improvement to make, taking personal pride in their work and supporting each other to deliver their very best. Our entire team works together to develop clever ideas to deliver a unique experience for delegates, for every client.
As well as the benefits listed above, as a member of staff at Warwick you can enjoy a wide range of other competitive benefits, along with excellent learning and development opportunities. Please refer to this link for a full list of the benefits - Reward and Benefits (warwick.ac.uk)
Interview Date: w/c 13 and 20 February 2023.
You will be responsible for pro-actively promoting the venue within Warwick Conferences portfolio, focussing on winning new business from key specified target markets. You will generate leads and establish strong relationships with potential new clients,whilst managing a small number of existing clients. You will work towards contributing to Warwick Conferences income target.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Target new business from specific target markets as outlined by the Head of Sales. Conduct a target number of appointments and telesales activity to ensure income target is achieved.
· Actively seek new business opportunities from market research and in line with the marketing directives to secure business into Warwick Conferences. Work with agreed campaigns to address business shortfalls, campaigns and full utilisation of all distribution channels.
· To achieve targeted average rates.
· Promote and enhance the reputation and business profile of Warwick Conferences by representing the University of Warwick at high profile functions, exhibitions, publicity events and regional road-shows. Ensure the appropriate clients are targeted in order to generate business leads and produce Management Information on activities clearly showing Return on Investment.
· Monitor, review and report on new accounts, turn down and cancelled business with a view to identifying and securing new business.
· Strong communication with Sales, Events & Operational Management teams, to update them on activity taking place within the proactive department and achieved results.
· Target industry bodies related to your specific sector set as a new business source and attend any networking opportunity events.
· A regular planned visit for sales meetings will be required across UK and Internationally on occasions.
· Monitor and report on performance against objectives and targets as required.
· Develop and maintain client business records accurately, analysing production of revenue and delivering clear Management Information for internal use and client use on an on-going basis through regular meetings and feedback sessions.
To undertake any other duties as from time to time maybe required commensurate with the grade of the post.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1
Educated to degree level or equivalent experience. (a)
Essential Criteria 2
Significant Business Development/sales experience within hotels/conference venues. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 3
Experience of Pro-active & Reactive sales within the Hotel/Conference Industry. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 4
Ability to act on own initiative. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 5
Excellent negotiation skills. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 6
Excellent presentation skills. (a, c, d)
Essential Criteria 7
Ability to stay calm under pressure and meet tight deadlines. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 8
Ability to monitor and maintain objectives and goals. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 9
Knowledge of Marketing and Sales and associated KPIs. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 10
Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 11
Imaginative approach to problem solving. (a, c)
Essential Criteria 12
Experience of multi-site sales. (b, c)
Essential Criteria 13
Self-motivated and able to work without direct supervision. (a, c)
Desirable Criteria 1
Experience of conference sales with the HE sector. (a, c)
Desirable Criteria 2
Full UK driving licence. (a, c)
For further information about the University of Warwick, please read our University Further Particulars.
For further information about Warwick Conferences and opportunities please refer to this link.
Warwick is committed to building an organisation of mutual respect and dignity, promoting a welcoming, diverse and inclusive working and learning environment. We recognise that everyone is different in a variety of visible and non-visible ways, and that those differences are to be recognised, respected, and valued. Where possible, we go beyond legislation to provide a place where everyone can thrive, supporting all staff to achieve their full potential. We aspire to remove economic, social and cultural barriers that may otherwise prevent people from succeeding.
We therefore welcome and encourage applications from all communities regardless of culture, background, age, disability, sex/gender, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, religion/belief, or sexual or romantic orientation. To find out more about our social inclusion work at Warwick visit our webpages here.
The University of Warwick holds an Athena SWAN Silver award; a national initiative to promote gender equality for all staff and students. Further information about the work of the University in relation to Athena SWAN can be found at the following link: Athena Swan (warwick.ac.uk)
The University of Warwick is one of the six founder institutions of the EUTOPIA European University alliance, whose aim is to become by 2025 an open, multicultural, confederated operation of connected campuses.
Right to work in the UK If you do not yet have the right to work in the UK and/or are seeking sponsorship for a Skilled Worker visa in the UK points-based immigration system please click on this link which contains further information about obtaining right to work in the UK and details about eligibility for sponsorship for a Skilled Worker Visa.
Recruitment of Ex-Offenders Policy
As an organisation using the (DBS) Disclosure and Barring Service to assess applicants' suitability for positions of trust, the University of Warwick complies with the DBS Code of Practice and undertakes not to discriminate unfairly against any subject of a Disclosure on the basis of a conviction or other information revealed. More information is available on the University's Vacancy pages and applicants may request a copy of the DBS Code of Practice.
8 Feb 2023