Position InformationPosting Number SF01378
Job Title Budget Specialist I, Financial Analysis Position Number 108800 FTE 1.00 FLSA Exempt Position Type Professional Staff Union Non-Union Non-Classified Staff Pay Grade Level 10 Pay Grade Range Salary commensurate with education and experience Status Calendar Year, Full-time, Permanent
Department InformationDepartment Budget & Financial Planning
Please note: Applications must be submitted directly online only at: https: // jobs.uri.edu
Contact Phone/Extension Contact Email Physical Demands Campus Location Kingston Grant Funded No Extension Contingency Notes Job Description Summary
The search will remain open until the position has been filled. First consideration will be given to applications received by February 17, 2023. Second consideration may be given to applications received by March 18, 2023. Applications received subsequent to second consideration date (March 18, 2023) may not be given full consideration.
Under the direction of a designated staff member, assist in the following: Forecast, research and trend analysis; financial modeling; ERP query management; report writing related to budget preparation and submission; tracking expenditures and/or revenues; performing post-audit and other reviews of actual expenditures and/or revenues.
Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of a designated staff member:
Develop budget recommendations for each budget cycle as required at the college/department/unit/program level, based on financial analysis.
Manage day-to-day budget execution, including the review and approval of budget modifications, and post audit of departmental expenditures.
Serve as liaison and resource to University departments and administrators regarding financial data and proper budget procedures and practices and resolve related problems.
Prepare program cost analyses, with recommendations to management for final decision making.
Participate in multiple, special, and confidential projects as assigned by the Director or Associate Director.
Research, analyze, and prepare ad hoc analyses/reports, and provide information. Provide short- and long-term forecasting, identifying areas of concern and recommending actions to alleviate potential adverse issues. Provide recommendations to be used in final decision making.
Research, compile, maintain, review, and revise annual reports for the Director and/or Associate Director. Participate in analysis of functional needs, data requirements, and sharing procedures.
Assist in the development of training manuals.
Assist in the development of PeopleSoft queries, including data gathering and processing, and respond to ad hoc requests from management.
Assist with a variety of technical tasks, for example, participate in upgrades and associated testing, and engage in the continuing review, definition, analyses of functional needs, requirements, and business rules and processes associated with the Budget and Financial Planning Office which might result in the need for system enhancements or modifications.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform additional duties as required, including the duties of other staff positions in the office.
LICENSES , TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Personal computers and printers; mainframes; word processing, database management and spreadsheet software; Microsoft Excel; calculators.
1. Bachelor's degree.
2. Demonstrated expertise with personal computers, including spreadsheet applications and skills in Excel.
3. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
4. Demonstrated technical ability to provide clear and concise reports on a timely basis.
5. Demonstrated ability to complete assignments on a timely basis.
6. Demonstrated strong oral and interpersonal communication skills.
7. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
8. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
9. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
10. Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented.
11. Demonstrated presentation skills.
12. Demonstrated ability to be flexible.
13. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced setting.
1. Bachelor's degree with major/focus in finance, economics, mathematics, statistics or management.
2. Minimum of one year financial experience in a financial setting (including tracking and analyzing revenue and expenditure budgets, and actual data.)
3. Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Excel functions, such as pivot tables and v-lookups.
4. Demonstrated experience in enterprise resource planning systems (e.g., Oracle, PeopleSoft, Banner).
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
The incumbent is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Posting Date 08/01/2022 Closing Date Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach the following 3 ( PDF) documents to your online Staff Employment Application:
(#1) Cover letter.
(#3) “Other Document – References” – the names and contact information of three professional references (outside of URI).
Quicklink for Posting https: // jobs.uri.edu/postings/10367Applicant Documents
Optional DocumentsSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().