I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Columbian College is a large, complex academic unit with 42 Departments and 27 Institutes and Centers, a place where the arts, the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences come together to form a nexus of ideas and opportunity. The Columbia College for Arts and Sciences is seeking an Associate Program Director to oversee the Data Science Master's and Certificate programs. Reporting to the director of the data science program, the Associate Program Director supervises administrative support personnel and multiple part time faculty.
This position is typically single-incumbent for a program and is generally the head of an academic program or initiative, reporting directly to senior leadership. This role will generally direct the administration of the program, will serve as an escalation for program questions from faculty, staff, and students, and will provide management for the program administration. Core responsibilities typically include community outreach and relationship building, academic advising, managing web presence and marketing efforts, creating program materials, managing course evaluations, developing and executing new programming, planning and executing events, managing the program budget, assisting with fellowship and grant opportunities, preparing and analyzing reports, and similar duties. Often this position can change policy and procedure, and they are tasked with outreach to other internal and external stakeholders in order to assist in maintaining standard operational efficiencies. This position does not typically have direct reports but often schedules, trains and supervises temporary staff or student workers, or leads other program staff. Typical duties often are administrative in nature but typically expand to effectively manage a department, or program but lack multiple direct staff subordinates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops relationships with both public and private sector entities for the purpose of placing students in intern positions, identifying opportunities for partnerships and capstone opportunities, and ensuring curriculum is in alignment with market demands. Creation and maintenance of advisory committees for workforce development and curriculum insights.
• Supports ongoing strategic initiatives for data science program, including: expansion and internal GW academic program coordination, inter-departmental partnership development and development of specialty tracks or dual degrees.
• Direct management of administrative support personnel and student hires. This role is also responsible for on boarding and personnel administration to part time instructors who are considered for data science classes. Develops resources and promotes community for the students, provides guidance to resource allocation for program expansion.
• Support recruiting efforts for data science students to ensure the longevity of the program.
• Ensure curriculum is in alignment with the market needs and if needed oversee the development of new courses as indicated from industry partner feedback.
• Conducts research as necessary on trends in the field of data science education to ensure pedagogical approaches of the program are in alignment with industry best practices.
• Coordinate marketing events and attend conference, seminars, and speaking engagements designed to further promote the data science program with goal of establishing a national reputation.
• Serves on university wide committees and boards as necessary to maintain communication channels with internal GW partners.
• Supports the program in the identification of funding opportunities to include both grants and contracts. Provide support to faculty/staff on submission of proposals or development of private sector agreements.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Highly developed analytical skills; ability to understand complicated situations and relationship to other processes. • Superior computer and software application (Oracle/Banner ERP, Navision, MS Office Suite) skills desired. • Knowledge of Federal Grants & Contracts preferred. • Well-developed verbal and written communication skills, as well as ability to develop and present to all levels of employees up to and including Executive Leadership.
Typical Hiring Range Commensurate with Experience. How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
II. JOB DETAILSCampus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Academic Affairs Sub-Family Program Administration Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full time -> FTE 1.00 Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:30 pm Will this job require the employee to work on site? Yes Employee Onsite Status On-campus (in person) Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status
Internal Applicants Only? Posting Number: S012048 Job Open Date: 04/07/2023 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until:
Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)Documents needed to Apply