ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS (ECI)
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary
documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening.
To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the
Bookmark link. To email this position to a friend, click on the Email to
a Friend link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your
records, click on the Print Preview link.
Bookmark this Posting Print Preview Apply for this Job
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
Please contact the Department of Human Resources if additional assistance is
needed to apply at 713-313-7521.
Security Sensitive Position? Yes
Hours of Work 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-F
Posting Number TSU202459
Official TSU Title ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS (ECI)
Grant Title ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS (ECI)
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
Under general supervision, the Associate Director for Research and
Publications (ECI) will be responsible for supervising and supporting
research projects by ECI staff and students. The position will also be
responsible for editing, publication and dissemination of all written pieces
for the Institute. The position requires strong familiarity with scholarly
writing, research and various citation methods. The position requires the
ability to forming interdisciplinary collaborations in writing. The primary
function of this position is to study social problems and develop policies to
solve them. This position monitors events, policy decisions and trends and
other issues with implications for the political and policy landscape.
This is a Grant Funded position.
Essential Duties Summary
• Researches and writes academic articles, policy related reports, essays and
editorials for the institute in furtherance of its mission and policy advocacy
• Assists and advises ECI Associate Directors with their research and writing
• Gathers data, using either existing information or generating new data
through public information Requests or other research tools
• Communicating findings and promoting solutions through newsletters,
speeches, reports, or books
• Supervises all student research projects, advising and assisting student
researchers, edits papers and monitors student performance
• Advises and interacts with the students in a fashion that promotes a quality
learning experience and extensive exposure to scholarly legal and
• Conducts public relations activities and programs for the Earl Carl
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Hiring Range $73,417.00 - $91,771.00
Bachelor's degree. Doctorate of Juris Prudence (JD) or Ph.D.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Federal, State, Local, and County laws
• Policies, procedures, and practices
• Specialized practices, equipment and procedures
• Microsoft Office Professional or similar applications
• Project management
• Evaluation and interpretation of the data that policy analysts collect in
• Critical thinking
• Crucial: beyond data analysis, these professionals must be able to process
the information they've researched and draw logical conclusions from it
• Problem-solving and decision-making
• Multitasking and time management
• Strong time management
• Strong analytical
• Coordinating work of others
• Job-related systems
• Strong writing skills are a given, considering the need for them to create
papers and articles on their research results that clearly and concisely
convey their findings
• Excellent both verbal and written communication
• Work effectively and efficiently under pressure is essential
• Use job related software such as, but not limited to, Lexis/Nexis, Westlaw
and legal databases
• Prepare detailed reports
• Work independently
• Communicate effectively
Five (5) years of related experience.
Writing sample required for academic articles, policy related reports, essays
Familiar with Bluebook, ATA and Chicago citation styles.
Limited standing and/or walking
Handling light weight objects
Using or carrying equipment
Stoop, bend or lift
Desired start date
Position End Date (if temporary)
UA EEO Statement
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work environment
that is free from discrimination for all persons regardless of race, color,
religion, sex, age, national origin, individuals with disability, sexual
orientation, or protected veteran status in its programs, activities,
admissions or employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is
strictly observed in all University employment-related activities such as
advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment training,
compensation, promotion, termination, and employment benefits. This policy
expressly prohibits harassment and discrimination in employment based on race,
color, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin,
individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected veteran
status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with the provisions of
all applicable federal, state and local laws, including, but not limited to,
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
Close Date 06/22/2021
Open Until Filled (overrides close field) No
Special Instructions to Applicants Open to all applicants.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
Do you have Bachelor's degree or higher, Doctorate of Juris Prudence (JD), or Ph.D?
Bachelor's degree or higher
Doctorate of Juris Prudence (JD)
None of the above
Do you have five (5) years of related experience?
Can you provide a writing sample regarding academic articles, policy related reports, essays and editorials?
Are you familiar with Bluebook, ATA and Chicago citation styles?
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Reference Letter 1
Reference Letter 2
Reference Letter 3