Assistant Research Fellow-2101787
DEPARTMENT OF MARINE SCIENCE
Who we are
We are a multidisciplinary department with research strengths in both
biological and physical marine sciences. We focus on pure and applied research
in marine science, oceanography and aquaculture.
The department capitalises on the unique setting of the coastal Otago region,
from local harbour and open beach environments to its position at the gateway
to the Southern Ocean.
Our research facilities are located around the South Island of New Zealand
(Otago Harbour, Stewart Island and Fiordland), but our staff and students
conduct their research everywhere from Fiji to Antarctica.
As an Assistant Research Fellow, you will assist Associate Professor Ceridwen
Fraser to conduct population genomic laboratory work and analyses of Antarctic
marine species in line with the objectives of the Antarctic Science Platform.
• Collation and sub-sampling of existing samples of Antarctic marine species
including sea stars and fish.
• Performing DNA extractions.
• Conducting Bioinformatic analysis.
• Contributing to, and where appropriate leading the publication of research
• Providing genomic expertise and assistance with the supervision of
postgraduate research students.
There may be opportunities to participate in Antarctic field work.
Your skills and experience
• You must possess an MSc or PhD in a relevant field (for example, genetics
• Research experience in population genomic laboratory work and analysis is
• Field work experience, and laboratory experience with approaches such as
genotyping by sequencing, will be advantageous.
The Department of Marine Science fosters collaboration; our marine researchers
collaborate across many other departments and forge links with numerous
external agencies. It is important that you can work effectively, efficiently
and both independently and as part of a team.
This is a part time (0.4FTE), fixed term position to December 2022.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this
Specific enquires regarding the position can be directed to Associate
Professor Crid Fraser via the contact details below.
Candidates are asked to submit the following with their application:
• A cover letter describing their experience as it relates to this position's
• The names and contact details of at least two relevant referees.
• A curriculum vitae.
To submit your application please click the apply button. Applications quoting
reference number 2101787 will close on Friday, 24 September 2021.
Note: As a part-time position, the salary range for this role will be the
pro-rata equivalent of the annual full-time salary range listed.
Contact: Associate Professor Ceridwen Fraser
Position details: Information Statement
Guidelines for Academic Positions: Guidelines
Further Information: Department Website
Create an email with a link to this vacancy: Create email
Location: About Dunedin
Fixed Term Part-time
Salary Level and Range
Assistant Research Fellow ($50,041 to $70,228)