Assistant Research Fellow / Research Fellow-2102147
SECTION OF PAEDIATRICS
DEPARTMENT OF WOMEN'S AND CHILDREN'S HEALTH
OTAGO MEDICAL SCHOOL DUNEDIN CAMPUS
Mō mātou/About us
Women's and Children's Health is a mid-size teaching and research department
with 80 administration, teaching and research staff. The department comprises
two sections: Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Paediatrics.
The NZ Child and Youth Epidemiology Service is a semi-autonomous, externally
funded research group within the section of Paediatrics in the Department of
Women's and Children's Health.
The Role/Te mahi
This Assistant Research Fellow/Research Fellow role is based in Dunedin and
the main objective will be to collaborate with NZ Child and Youth Epidemiology
Service (NZCYES) and NZ Mortality Review Data Group (NZMRDG) team members
to ensure timely delivery of high quality reports in order to meet contractual
Skills and Experience/Kā pūkeka me kā wheako
• Postgraduate degree in Health Science or a related field – a research degree
• Ability to undertake statistical analyses using standard statistical
software programmes (e.g. SAS, Stata, or R; training and support available).
• Sound knowledge of statistical techniques, including the ability to extract,
manipulate and analyse statistical data, to suggest patterns and test for
trends based on analyses.
• A passion for accuracy and high standards of presentation.
• Skills in scientific writing for health sector audience and wider public.
• Understanding of the principles of evidence-informed medicine and its
relevance to population health.
• Knowledge, or a willingness to acquire knowledge, and understanding of the
New Zealand health and social system and government processes, particularly in
the area of health and wellbeing among children and young people (in the
• Understanding, or a willingness to learn, of inequities in health for
various population groups, including Māori and Pacific children and young
people, and those with chronic conditions and disabilities.
• Ability to promote team cohesiveness, to be a valuable source of knowledge
to other team members, to assist and provide support to other team members at
• Clinical experience in child health can be advantageous.
This position is fixed-term, full-time for 12 months.
Specific enquiries may be directed to Dr Mavis Duncanson via the contact
To submit your application (including CV and cover letter) please click the
apply button. Applications quoting reference number 2102147 will close on
Wednesday, 8 December 2021.
Contact: Dr Mavis Duncanson Tel: 03 479 8338
Position details: Information Statement
Guidelines for Academic Positions: Guidelines
Further Information: Department Website
Create an email with a link to this vacancy: Create email
Location: About Dunedin
Salary Level and Range
Assistant Research Fellow ($50,041 to $70,228) or Research Fellow ($82,416
Women's and Children's Health