31 Oct 2023Job Information
University of Warsaw
Centre of Migration Research / Centre of Excellence in Social Sciences
First Stage Researcher (R1)
30 Nov 2023 - 23:59 (Europe/Warsaw)
Type of Contract
Hours Per Week
Offer Starting Date
1 Jan 2024
Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The “Excellence Initiative – Research University” is a programme of the minister responsible for higher education and science, which enables the University of Warsaw to raise the level of its research activities, the quality of education and accordingly, the international recognition of the University. The recruited person will perform duties in I.3.3. “Establishing a Centre of Excellence in Social Sciences (CESS)” The aim of the competition is to recruit a researcher to a team led by an experienced researcher and to cooperate in the implementation of a breakthrough research project in the field of social sciences and "computational social science".
1. co-designing and programming innovative experiments using web-based data;
2. co-designing and supervising online experiments on social media platforms;
3. using statistical models to test hypotheses using big data sets;
4. preparing publications for high-profile journals and international conferences;
5. presentation of research results at international conferences and academic meetings.Requirements
Master Degree or equivalent
The competition is open to persons meeting the conditions specified in Article 113 of the Act of 20 July 2018 – The law on higher education and science (Dz.U.2023 item 742 with further amendments).
● experience with quantitative research methods (e.g., analysis of survey and experimental data using advanced multiple models);
● computational skills - experience working in R, Python and other programming languages;
● fluency in written and spoken English;
● experience with analysing survey or experimental data and visualising results;
● meeting the conditions set out in Art. 113 of the Act of 20 July 2018 - Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2022, item 574 as amended) and the Statute of the University of Warsaw (Resolution No. 443 of the Senate of the University of Warsaw, from 26 June 2019, Monitor item 190).
● expertise in the design, implementation, and analysis of complex research projects combining one's own reports (experiments/surveys) with digital data (e.g., social media data, online trace data, etc.);
● publications on at least some of the substantive or methodological areas of interest to the project;
● high communication and organisational skills,
● proactivity, reliability, and independence when conducting research;
● teamworking skills.
● a CV detailing the candidate's education and experience, with a list of the most important publications and an overview of previous activities and academic achievements (e.g., visits to conferences, courses, awards),
● a cover letter presenting the candidate's profile, in accordance with the requirements stated in the announcement and the motivation to apply for the offered job,
● a sample of scientific work in English (e.g., journal article),
● a statement in which the candidate signs a confirmation of having read and accepted the rules of conducting competitions, as set out in Ordinance No. 106 of the Rector of the University of Warsaw from 27 September 2019, on specifying the detailed rules and procedures for conducting a competition for the position of an academic teacher at the University of Warsaw1,
● a signed declaration (scan) of consent to the processing of personal data, attached to this announcement,
● a signed and completed questionnaire for the applicant for employment2. Optional:
● a list of people who could be consulted as references for the candidate (reference lists are not required),
● a link to your Google Scholar, ORCID, and / or GitHub profile.
SociologyCommunication sciencesPolitical sciences
Years of Research Experience
1 - 4
What we offer:
● the possibility of obtaining additional remuneration in the event of obtaining external grants;
● access to a wide range of training courses for academic teachers;
● access to infrastructure (office space, library, IT resources, sports infrastructure);
● working with an enthusiastic and international team, open to new collaborators, led by an outstanding researcher in the field of social sciences in the research community at one of the best universities in Central and Eastern Europe, with developed international cooperation;
● the opportunity to present work at the best academic conferences, broaden your professional network, and submit publications to the best academic journals;
● the opportunity to obtain funds for conducting your own research and financing research trips.
The competition is the first stage of the recruitment procedure for the position of an academic teacher, as specified in the Statute of the University of Warsaw, and its positive outcome is the basis for further proceedings. The selection committee reserves the right to perform a preliminary evaluation of applications prior to the full evaluation of applicants. After the initial analysis of the submitted applications, selected candidates will be contacted for the subsequent stages of the recruitment procedure. The University of Warsaw reserves the right to close the competition without stating the reason.Work Location(s)
Number of offers available
University of Warsaw / Centre of Migration Research / Centre of Excellence in Social Sciences
Where to apply
https:// www. uw.edu.pl
Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28