Apply now Job no: 506646 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 460300 - Human Resources Management Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Professional Position Open Date: Aug 24 2023
The Assistant Director of Benefits provides direction for the administration of university benefit programs to achieve efficient benefits service delivery and operations. In collaboration with state agencies and university administrators, recommends and implements a strategy using technology and best practices to achieve robust benefits programs that reflect market trends and cost containment parameters.
Salary Grade: 17
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. In collaboration with HRM leadership, University's Employee Benefits Committee, and applicable state and federal agencies, manages the University's benefits programs for all faculty and staff employees, including state retirement plans, health and welfare plans, life insurance plans, deferred compensation programs, and voluntary benefits. 2. Responsible for implementation of effective benefits procedures to ensure compliance with all plan provisions, university policies and procedures, payroll processes, and federal or state requirements and regulations. 3. Responsible for efficiencies in collecting and processing benefits enrollment for employees, providing data pertaining to the university's enrollment processes, and efficiently processing employees' benefits elections during annual open enrollment. 4. Manages the benefits accounting process to ensure accurate deductions, vendor payments and required reporting. 5. Supports and exhibits positive vendor interactions and relationships for current, prospective, or interested benefit partners. 6. Accurately completes and submits benefits reports to ensure university compliance with federal and state guidelines. 7. Manages a communication plan to educate faculty and staff about the university's benefit offerings. Along with staff, provides benefits, retirement, and financial planning counseling services to retirees, faculty, and staff. 8. Provides coverage as needed for the New Employee Orientation programs for staff and faculty. 9. Provides ongoing supervision to direct reports. Develops work schedules, job assignments, job training, oversight, and ongoing guidance. Conducts performance reviews and collaborates with Deputy Director in managing staff performance. 10. Provides guidance and information to employees and administrators on the University's benefit plans, policies and procedures. 11. Serves on the University's Employee Benefits Committee. Conducts utilization analysis for applicable voluntary benefit plans and prepares reports; provides value-added recommendations to the HRM leadership team based on outcome. 12. Conducts tracking and reporting of staff workload, productivity, and employee contacts. Provides monthly summaries of benefits office production. 13. Other appropriate duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field. 2. Four years of progressively responsible human resources, business, or related experience; three years of supervisory experience.
1. Experience administering/managing benefit plans. 2. Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) or Certified Benefits Professional (CBP) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Must have a thorough understanding of benefit concepts and theory. Working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations is required. The ability to understand technical benefits-related information, payroll processes, benefits operations, and best practices is required. 2. Proficient knowledge of Human Resources management principles. 3. Recent experience with compliance work in benefits-related regulatory areas including, but not limited to, COBRA, FMLA, 403(b), and/or 401(k), qualified health and welfare plans. 4. Experience coordinating multiple retirement programs and related investments for employee retirement plans. 5. Knowledge base should include a broad knowledge of public and private health and welfare benefit plans; experience in a major corporate environment preferred. 6. Experience and knowledge of employer retirement plans. 7. Strong presentation, oral and written communication skills. 8. Demonstrated customer service skills for all levels of an organization. 9. Strong skill set for use of technology, Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. 10. Experience with Banner or a similar HR/Payroll system for benefits administration.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility. 2. Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor. 3. Job frequently requires sitting, handling objects with hands. 4. Job occasionally requires standing, walking, reaching, talking, hearing, and lifting up to 10 pounds. 5. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or [email protected].
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or [email protected]. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.
Advertised: Aug 24 2023 Central Daylight Time Applications close: