Apprentice Assistant Teaching Technician - Apprentice Band 300 - AP59698 -
Infrastructure and Facilities, College of Medical and Dental Sciences
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Your starting salary will be £14,882 and after 12 months in post your salary
will increase to £18,602 per annum
Apprentice Band 300
Full Time/Fixed term for 3 years
Closing date – 26 September 2021
The post holder is part of a technical community who will provide core support
for the College's laboratory, clinical skills & anatomy teaching commitments.
The post holder being primarily responsible for supporting the technical teams
with their day-to-day roles and responsibilities being flexible working across
different departments & buildings as required. The post involves significant
setting up practical learning spaces, preparation of laboratory reagents &
tidying learning spaces. The post holder will be expected to help and assist
the technical staff during practical sessions.
You will learn to provide technical assistance in the relevant department. In
order to flexibly use resource you may be given the opportunity to work in
different areas of the department or wider University. You may need to operate
out of normal working hours to accommodate classes. You will conduct practical
work within an area regulated by the Human Tissue Authority.
The apprentice will be learning and developing skills in the following areas:
1. You will carry out specified techniques, tests or experiments as directed;
2. Identify simple problems and resolve and recognise when to refer issues to
3. Maintain accurate records and draft routine documentation related to your
4. Ensure the health, safety and cleanliness of immediate work area, by
encouraging staff and students to comply with all basic University / College
Health & Safety policies and reporting any issues to your line manager,
technical manager, laboratory manager or College Safety Advisor as
5. Confirm that all required assessments are in place, approved and up to
6. Carry out regular maintenance processes as appropriate and ensuring
records are maintained;
7. Report any breaches or non-compliance with health and safety procedures to
the Line Manager, Technical Manager, Laboratory Manager or College Safety
8. Ensuring waste disposal is carried out correctly for laboratory, recycled
and general waste;
9. Adopt a proactive attitude to assisting with and implementing carbon
reduction and energy saving measures;
10. Assisting with stock level control and informing Line Manager when
replacements are required;
11. Receipt and correct storage of consumables and chemical reagents;
12. Reporting any problems with equipment or services to the line manager or
colleague as appropriate;
13. You will treat everyone with dignity and respect, supporting equality and
14. You will complete any other duties as may be reasonably required by
either the Line Manager or Technical Managers.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• GCSE (A- C / 4-9 or equivalent) Mathematics, English & Science, NVQ
Level 2, BTEC Level 2 or equivalent; or specific relevant experience in an
• Positive service attitude and shows courtesy in dealing with others.
• Ability to organise and manage own work load after consultation with
supervisor and demonstrate flexibility in terms of work
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to learn and understand how diversity considerations affect own
• Awareness of current relevant H&S policies.
• Basic understating of commonly used software packages.
The apprentice will be on the Education Technician (Level 3) apprenticeship
standard. Upon completion apprentices may progress to a variety of teaching
We are only able to accept applicants who meet the government's eligibility
criteria for an apprenticeship.
College of Medical & Dental Sciences
IBR Wolfson Drive Medical School University of BirminghamEdgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT
: MDS - Infrastructure and Facilities
: 13.09.2021, 7:26:27 PM
Grade (for job description): Apprentice Band 300
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
: 27.09.2021, 5:59:00 AM
Fixed Term Contract End Date 03.10.2024