Position InformationPosting Number SF01542
Job Title Academic Advisor (University College for Academic Success) (Part-time) Position Number 107059 FTE 1.00 FLSA Exempt Position Type Professional Staff Union Non-Union Non-Classified Staff Pay Grade Level 10 Pay Grade Range Anticipated Starting Salary - $54,400 (Salary will be prorated to reflect a 17.50-hour work week.) Status Calendar Year, Part-time, Limited
Department InformationDepartment University College for Academic Success
Please note: Job applications must be submitted directly online only at: ( https: // jobs.uri.edu)
Contact Phone/Extension Contact Email Physical Demands Campus Location Kingston Grant Funded No Extension Contingency Notes
This is a part time, calendar year position limited to June 30, 2024 with anticipated renewal.
Job Description Summary
This search will remain open until the position is filled.
Provide academic advising for undergraduates in University College for Academic Success (UCAS) as well as serve as liaison to degree colleges, helping students who are matriculating as well as those who need alternative degree pathways. Assigned to a designated academic major, provide individual and group advising to facilitate the transition to college and progression to graduation in a timely manner. Collaborate with staff and faculty in the degree-granting colleges to assist with students' progress to degree, curriculum materials, and all advising issues to best meet student needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Advise and monitor progress of UCAS students, ensuring progress toward graduation in a timely fashion.
Initiate student contact, providing intrusive advising outreach whenever possible.
Collaborate with and support other advisors in UCAS.
Participate in academic reviews in UCAS as required.
Assist in planning and executing programs as required.
Advise in orientation sessions.
Support student advising needs in the summer and during breaks throughout the calendar year.
Assist students exploring majors.
Work closely with experiential/internship and career advisors to provide up- to-date information related to internship, major, and career choices.
Teach URI101 as assigned.
Work evenings and weekends as necessary.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform other duties as assigned.
LICENSES , TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Computers, printers; database management and spreadsheet software; student record-keeping systems.
1. Master's degree with a minimum of two years of experience in academic advising, time as a graduate student included, OR Bachelor's degree with a minimum of five years providing academic advising in a higher education setting, OR Bachelor's degree with a minimum of five years of demonstrated experience advising/counseling (academics, career, non-traditional pathways, etc.) current and/or aspiring college students.
2. Demonstrated strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
3. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
4. Demonstrated experience with data management systems.
5. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
1. Master's degree in college student personnel in higher education and counseling, or in a comparable program.
2. Demonstrated ability to utilize applications, Brightspace (or similar platform), on-line advising, presentation technology and student records systems (i.e., PeopleSoft.).
3. Demonstrated experience with Starfish.
4. Demonstrated experience working with college students.
5. Demonstrated skills in assessment.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Posting Date 04/11/2023 Closing Date Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach the following 3 (PDF) documents to your online Employment Application: (#1) Cover letter. (#2) Resume. (#3) “Other Document-References” – the names and contact information of three professional references. (Note: this document is required even though references may be listed on the application).
Quicklink for Posting https: // jobs.uri.edu/postings/11536Applicant Documents
Optional DocumentsSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().