Recruitment/Posting Title 21st CCLC Afterschool Course Leader
Department Cornwall Ctr Metro Studies
Salary Commensurate With Experience
Promise Youth University Afterschool is currently seeking passionate and
energetic teachers to lead interactive academic enrichments courses for Grades
3-8th that will enhance student skill mastery, including critical thinking,
math principles, and reading comprehension and mechanics through creative
activities. Teachers are responsible for developing lesson plans, managing
classrooms, ensuring the safety of students, and facilitating the daily
implementation of courses. A background or expertise in a course subject area
is preferred; training will be provided for some courses. If you are skilled
in the areas identified and can positively engage children, our scholars need
• Attend mandatory 2- week training in September.
• Provide active and direct supervision to students, ensuring all students are
learning in a safe and productive environment
• Employ positive youth development and engagement strategies to connect with
youth and foster positive behavior.
• Assist students with homework.
• Organize supplies and resources for course activities.
• Develop engaging programming that is culturally relevant and competent, and
• Submit lesson plans for enrichment courses and workshops, with the support
of the Site Coordinator.
• Evaluate and document students' progress.
Course Leaders will begin onsite at Thirteenth Avenue School immediately
3:00pm. Teachers will be dismissed at 4:20pm
Promise Youth University (PYU) is a program within the Newark Fairmount
Promise Neighborhood (Fairmount Promise) initiative housed in the Joseph C.
Cornwall Center at Rutgers University Newark. Promise Youth University was
created to support the community school partnership between Fairmount Promise
and Thirteenth Avenue School. The mission of Promise Youth University is to
provide elementary and middle school scholars with a safe and supportive space
outside of school hours to engage in high quality activities that increase
their exposure and confidence in science, technology, engineering, arts, and
math (STEAM) subjects; and ultimately position scholars for college and
career success. The program serves 210 scholars in grades third through
eighth, including scholars with special needs during the hours of
Posting Number 21FA1042
Posting Open Date 09/09/2021
Posting Close Date 12/31/2021
Minimum Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in Teaching or relevant field.
• In-depth knowledge of evidence based teaching strategies and legal
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• Well-organized with excellent leadership abilities
• Exceptional interpersonal and presentation skills.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Ability to lift 10lbs.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link to Posting https: // jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/141682
Campus Rutgers University-Newark
Home Location Campus Off Campus
Teachers will begin onsite at Thirteenth Avenue School immediately 3:00pm.
Teachers will be dismissed at 4:20pm
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
List of Professional References (contact Info)